On January 6, 2014, two consolidated cases involving carbon monoxide poisoning deaths at a Jersey City apartment complex settled for $2 million. The deaths occurred 3 weeks apart and were caused by carbon monoxide that built up in a clogged hot water heater on the premises. The apartment had no carbon monoxide detector, though an unopened box of detectors was discovered in the basement. In addition, the hot water heater was installed without a permit. Because the landlord lacked insurance, the settlement will be paid to the estates of the decedents in installments, rather than in a single lump sum.