Catastrophic Injury Lawyer in New Jersey
Injuries that are referred to as “catastrophic” are permanent and life-changing. Victims of catastrophic injuries and their families often face the daunting prospect of arranging for long-term medical care for the permanently injured or disabled person. Given the long-term nature of these injuries, the proper evaluation and handling of a catastrophic injury claim can be crucial. Having a catastrophic injury lawyer on your side could improve your case results. Reach out to us today at the Reinartz Law Firm
Topics Covered Here:
- What Is a Catastrophic Injury?
- Types of Catastrophic Injuries
- Common Causes of Catastrophic Injury
- Catastrophic Injury Statistics
- What Can I Recover From a Catastrophic Injury Claim?
- How The Reinartz Law Firm Can Help
What Is a Catastrophic Injury?
A catastrophic injury is defined as a health condition likely to result in a loss of 30 days of missed work or more in a twelve-month period. Catastrophic injuries typically have a significant and lasting impact on the victim and their families.
Victims may be rendered unable to work and often need constant care and attention from family members or caregivers. These cases typically involve significant financial and economic losses.
Some of the economic damages in these cases may include:
- Medical bills
- Past and future lost wages
- Need for part or full-time care
- Cost of future medical treatment
- Other out-of-pocket costs
Types of Catastrophic Injuries
Catastrophic injuries generally fall into three categories:
- Physical Injury - Physical injuries can include spinal cord injuries, severe burns, organ damage, loss of limb, and similar injuries that impact a person's psychical being and functionality.
- Cognitive Injury - Cognitive injuries typically stem from traumatic brain injuries. These injuries can affect a person's ability to think, remember, work, etc.
- Economic Injury - Economic injuries impact the finances of the injured person and their family. Lost wages, medical bills cost of future care are just a few.
Common Causes of Catastrophic Injury
There are countless ways in which catastrophic injuries can present themselves. Here are some of the most common:
Catastrophic Injury Statistics
The National Safety Council (NSC) has collected, analyzed, and reported catastrophic injury statistics since 1913. The data suggests that preventable injuries continue to increase in frequency. Here are some statistics.
- There were 48.3 million injuries in 2019 in the United States
- In 2019 there were 173,040 preventable deaths in the U.S. a 3.5% increase from the previous year and a 99% increase over 27 years.
- Fall Related accidents continue to become more prevalent and is currently the #3 cause of preventable death
- Preventable accidents were responsible for over $1 Billion in costs in 2019 alone
What Can I Recover From a Catastrophic Injury Claim?
If you or a loved one was injured by the negligence of others it may be possible to pursue compensation.
- Medical Expenses - Medical expenses can be overwhelming. From the initial cost of emergency room care and medical treatment to the costs of rehabilitative and permanent medical care, medical costs can be significant.
- Lost Wages and Future Earnings - If your injuries have left you unable to work you may be entitled to lost wages caused by the injuries. In addition, you may be eligible to receive compensation for future lost earnings if your injuries prevent you from returning to work.
- Pain and Suffering - Pain and suffering damages can also be pursued and may take into account issues such as loss of enjoyment of life, disability, impairment and other non-economic damages caused by the injuries.
How The Reinartz Law Firm Can Help
Cases involving serious injury typically require legal assistance and will undoubtedly benefit from legal advice from an experienced injury lawyer. Understanding the legal landscape of catastrophic injury cases is of paramount importance when crafting a legal claim.
The Reinartz Law Firm is experienced in investigating, litigating, and managing the complexities of catastrophic injury claims. Whether called upon to analyze the technical aspects of an event, product, or procedure that caused an injury or evaluate medical records and related documentation to determine the full value of a claim, we are up to the challenge. Our experience in litigating these claims allows us to prepare a thorough case, and seek compensation that will provide future financial support to the catastrophically injured person and their family.
Contact us today to talk to a lawyer. We offer a free consultation to discuss your potential claim.
The Reinartz Law Firm - Hackensack Office
"Richard guided me in my suit and made me feel confident in my decisions during my entire case. He made recommendations that I otherwise, would not have known about."