While many injuries are an unavoidable part of the human experience, some aren’t. Some occur due to another person’s negligence, carelessness, or intentional acts. If you’ve suffered an injury through no fault of your own, you may recover monetary compensation. At Reinartz Law Firm, our experienced Hackensack personal injury lawyers are here to help injured parties and their families pursue the financial recovery they deserve after such an injury.
Due to Hackensack’s proximity to New York City, substantial amounts of traffic travel Interstate 80, Route 4, and Route 503. About 30,000 car accidents take place in the Hackensack area every year.
Personal injury risks abound in other ways, too, including slip and fall accidents, medical negligence, and pedestrian accidents. Call our personal injury attorneys regardless of how someone hurt you and let's see how we can help you recover the compensation you need to pay for your injury.
Table of Contents
- About the Reinartz Law Firm
- What Types of Hackensack Personal Injury Claims We Handle
- Our Hackensack Office and Headquarters
- Our Hackensack Accident Statistics
- What Types of Personal Injuries Do People Suffer in Hackensack?
- How Long Do I Have to File a Personal Injury Lawsuit in Hackensack?
- How Much Does a Hackensack Personal Injury Lawyer Cost?
- How Long Will It Take to Resolve My Hackensack Personal Injury Case
- If I'm Partially Responsible for the Hackensack Accident, Can I Still Recover Compensation
- The Benefits of Hiring Our Hackensack Personal Injury Attorneys
- Hackensack Personal Injury FAQs
- Call the Experienced Hackensack Personal Injury Attorneys at the Reinartz Law Firm Today
- Additional Resources
About the Reinartz Law Firm
We are a top-rated personal injury law firm serving clients in and around Bergen County, Hackensack, New Jersey, and New York. Our personal injury attorneys aggressively pursue compensation for injured parties who suffer damages resulting from the negligence of others.
Personal injury clients turn to us because we are:
- Accountable: We act with integrity even when it’s not noticed or convenient.
- Efficient: We are organized and embrace new technology and systems to streamline our processes.
- Detail-oriented: We know that small details can make a significant difference, so we ensure every detail of every case is put under the microscope.
- Compassionate: We provide understanding without judgment, creating mutual respect, connection, and understanding with our clients.
- Optimistic: We see opportunities and remain focused on the positive even when faced with adversity.
Our Hackensack personal injury lawyers have proven case results of obtaining full and fair compensation for our clients. They have also won many awards and recognitions, including those from Avvo, Martindale-Hubbell, and SuperLawyers.
What Types of Hackensack Personal Injury Claims We Handle
Personal injuries can happen to anyone. As the name implies, they are physical injuries. Still, they are unique because they occur due to someone else’s conduct and generally are preventable. Personal injuries arise from the negligence, carelessness, or intentional acts of another person or party. Because of this, the person or party who caused the injury is usually liable for the injured person’s damages.
At Reinartz Law Firm, we have a team of experienced attorneys who handle many different types of Hackensack personal injury claims, including:
- Hackensack Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Hackensack Brain Injury Lawyer
- Hackensack Car Accident Lawyer
- Hackensack Construction Accident Lawyer
- Hackensack Medical Malpractice Attorney
- Hackensack Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
- Hackensack Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Hackensack Personal Injury Lawyer
- Hackensack Premises Liability Lawyer
- Hackensack Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer
- Hackensack Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer
- Hackensack Truck Accident Lawyer
- Hackensack Workers’ Compensation Attorneys
- Hackensack Wrongful Death Lawyer
We can also assist with obtaining compensation for other injury-causing events, such as sports or recreation accidents and intentional acts of violence or abuse. Along with slip and fall accidents, we handle other types of premises liability claims, including Hackensack dog bites and negligent security.Contact us as soon as possible to discuss your case if someone else injured you in Hackensack because of their negligence or wrongdoing.
Our Hackensack Office and Headquarters
Reinartz Law Firm's law office and headquarters is located in Hackensack at the following address:
You can come by our office to speak with an attorney at no cost, or you can call us to set up an appointment for a free consultation.
Our Hackensack Accident Statistics
Hackensack serves as the county seat of Bergen County, New Jersey. Hackensack has a population of just over 46,000, but Bergen County has a population of nearly one million. Thus, your chances of becoming involved in a traffic accident due to another driver’s negligence in Hackensack are relatively high.
According to the New Jersey Department of Transportation, Bergen County and the Hackensack area experienced 29,459 traffic accidents in a recent year. Bergen County ranks second in the state for injurious and fatal traffic accidents, and more than 6,000 people suffered injuries in traffic collisions in Bergen County in the most recent year of reporting. Additionally, 44 people lost their lives in traffic accidents in Bergen County in 2022.
What Types of Personal Injuries Do People Suffer in Hackensack?
The attorneys at Reinartz Law Firm assist people with recovering compensation for a wide range of injuries. The types and severity of injuries people suffer depend largely on the nature of the accident, the force of impact, the victim’s overall health, and other factors. Some of the most common personal injuries we see at our law firm include:
- Back injuries, for example, those caused by lifting heavy or awkward objects
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) caused by traffic accidents or violence
- Whiplash and other neck injuries from a car accident or slip and fall
- Hand/wrist injuries from repetitive use, causing carpal tunnel syndrome
- Head injuries and traumatic brain injuries caused by motor vehicle accidents, physical assault, or sports and recreational accidents
- Leg injuries arising from sports, cycling accidents, or slips, trips, and falls
- Eye injuries, including foreign bodies in the eye, chemical splashes at work, those from sports, or intentional physical assault
- Arm injuries caused by motor vehicle accidents, workplace injuries, sports, recreation, or falls
We also help clients recover compensation for other serious, catastrophic injuries, such as amputation and crush injuries, internal injuries and organ damage, and more. Contact us as soon as you’re able after receiving treatment for your injuries to learn of your options for pursuing compensation.
How Long Do I Have to File a Personal Injury Lawsuit in Hackensack?
If you feel you need to file a personal injury lawsuit--or better yet, have an attorney do it for you--one of the most crucial things you need to understand is the statute of limitations. Each state has a statute of limitations or deadline for personal injury victims to file lawsuits. In New Jersey, the statute of limitations is four years from the injury date.
It’s up to each injured person or their attorney to know when this deadline is. The state or insurance company is not going to tell or remind them. Under some circumstances, there are variations of this law that apply. For instance, if the person injured is a minor or the at-fault party is part of the government.
If you miss this deadline, your right to pursue injury compensation through civil law no longer exists. Our personal injury attorneys know which statute of limitations applies to their client's case. We take every necessary step to avoid risking this statutory deadline.
How Much Does a Hackensack Personal Injury Lawyer Cost?
One benefit of hiring a Hackensack personal injury lawyer from Reinartz Law Firm is that we can front the money necessary for your claim. If you don’t hire an attorney, you’ll need to pay these costs yourself or skip the services you can’t afford. Our personal injury attorneys have the financial ability to pay these costs upfront and wait to get reimbursed until after your case settles.
Depending on the specific details of your case, we can cover:
- Discovery expenses such as document reviews and the cost of obtaining medical records
- Payments for expert testimony
- Accident reconstruction services
- Travel for depositions
- Deposition expenses
- Court document filing fees
Since we also offer free consultations, you have nothing to risk in giving us a call to discuss your case. Your attorney will go over our contingency fee arrangement and explain the process of our we accept our legal fees after all is said and done so you will know what to expect.
How Long Will It Take to Resolve My Hackensack Personal Injury Case
The time it takes to resolve a personal injury case in Hackensack, or anywhere else, can vary widely depending on several factors. It's essential to understand that every case is unique, and there is no fixed timeframe. Here are some factors that can influence the duration of your personal injury case:
- Severity of Injuries: Cases involving severe injuries that require extensive medical treatment and rehabilitation may take longer to resolve. This is because it often takes time to assess the full extent of the injuries and their long-term impact on the victim's life.
- Liability and Dispute: If there is a dispute regarding who is at fault for the accident, it can extend the duration of the case. Investigations and negotiations may be required to establish liability.
- Insurance Company Involvement: The involvement of insurance companies can affect the timeline. Insurance companies may engage in negotiations and may require time to assess the claim.
- Pre-litigation Negotiations: Many personal injury cases are settled before going to court through negotiation and settlement discussions. The duration of these negotiations can vary depending on the willingness of both parties to reach a fair settlement.
- Filing a Lawsuit: If a settlement cannot be reached, a lawsuit may be filed. The duration of a lawsuit can vary significantly, depending on court schedules, the complexity of the case, and the backlog of cases in the court system.
- Discovery Phase: In a lawsuit, there is a discovery phase where both parties exchange information, including documents and witness statements. This phase can take several months.
- Mediation or Arbitration: Some cases may be resolved through mediation or arbitration, which can be quicker than going to trial. However, the availability of these alternative dispute resolution methods can affect the timeline.
- Trial: If your case goes to trial, it can take a considerable amount of time, often a year or more, to get a trial date and go through the trial process.
- Appeals: If either party is not satisfied with the outcome of the trial, there may be appeals, which can further extend the process.
- Settlement: Most personal injury cases are resolved through settlement, which can occur at any point in the process. The timing of a settlement can depend on negotiations and the willingness of the parties to reach an agreement.
To get a more accurate estimate of how long it will take to resolve your specific personal injury case in Hackensack, you should consult with an experienced personal injury attorney. They can assess the details of your case, consider the factors involved, and provide you with a more informed timeline. Keep in mind that it's in your best interest to be patient and ensure that your attorney has the necessary time to pursue the best possible outcome for your case.
If I'm Partially Responsible for the Hackensack Accident, Can I Still Recover Compensation
In Hackensack, New Jersey, and in many other places, the ability to recover compensation for a personal injury accident when you are partially responsible for the incident depends on the state's legal principles governing liability, which is often referred to as "comparative negligence" or "contributory negligence." New Jersey follows a modified comparative negligence system.
Here's how it typically works in New Jersey:
- Modified Comparative Negligence: New Jersey follows a modified comparative negligence system. Under this system, you can still recover compensation for your injuries even if you were partially responsible for the accident. However, there are limitations.
- 51% Bar Rule: In New Jersey, you can recover compensation as long as your level of fault is less than 50%. In other words, if you are found to be 50% or more responsible for the accident, you may not recover any compensation. But if you are 49% or less responsible, you can still recover damages.
- Reduction in Compensation: If you are partially responsible for the accident, your compensation will be reduced in proportion to your level of fault. For example, if you are found to be 20% at fault, your compensation will be reduced by 20%.
- Comparative Negligence in Lawsuits: If your case goes to court, a judge or jury will determine the percentage of fault for each party involved, including you. They will consider evidence and arguments presented by both sides to make this determination.
- Insurance Settlements: When negotiating with insurance companies, they will also consider the concept of comparative negligence. They may adjust their settlement offer based on their assessment of your level of fault.
It's important to note that the assessment of fault in personal injury cases can be complex, and it often involves negotiations and legal arguments. Having an experienced personal injury attorney on your side can be crucial in these situations. Your attorney can help present your case effectively, gather evidence, and negotiate with insurance companies to maximize your compensation, even if you share some degree of responsibility for the accident.
If you believe you may have a personal injury claim but are concerned about your level of fault, it's essential to consult with an attorney who can evaluate your case and provide guidance based on the specific circumstances and New Jersey's laws regarding comparative negligence.
The Benefits of Hiring Our Hackensack Personal Injury Attorneys
Our personal injury attorneys offer free initial consultations and a contingency fee arrangement, so you won't have to worry about any upfront costs to get the skilled legal representation you need.
When you hire a reputable Hackensack personal injury lawyer from our firm, you can expect that they’ll add the following advantages to your case:
Our personal injury lawyers have the legal education and experience necessary to negotiate claims and litigate them in civil court if necessary. Often, our negotiation skills can garner maximum compensation for an injured individual without going to trial. Their experience helps us anticipate and defend their client against the insurance company's tactics to pay as little as possible to those who suffered an injury.
Claims without sufficient evidence will fail. Our personal injury lawyers know what evidence will prove the elements of negligence in your case. We can help you gather and preserve this valuable evidence.
Uncovering All Possible Sources of Compensation
Multiple insurance policies can cover some personal injuries. However, locating these policies presents enormous challenges without the proper legal knowledge and experience. Our Hackensack personal injury lawyers will know where to look to uncover all potential sources of compensation that might apply to your claim. Other liable insurance policies can increase your settlement or court award.
Holding All Liable Parties Accountable
You can hold more than one person or party liable or legally responsible for your damages and injuries. Personal injury lawyers maximize compensation in many ways, including identifying all potentially liable parties. The more parties held liable for their actions, the more money you might collect for your injuries.
Increased Claim Value
If you experienced a personal injury and an attorney agrees to represent your claim, you likely have a valid legal case. Injured individuals who have legal representation are taken seriously by insurance adjusters. They know that the chances of getting you to settle for a lowball offer are slim when you receive advice and representation from a lawyer.
Suppose you decide to meet with a personal injury lawyer. In that case, they can provide you with the estimated value of your case. Awareness of its value can help determine if pursuing the claim with professional legal help will be worth the cost of attorney’s fees.
Most personal injury victims receive more money if they have legal representation than those who don’t. Insurance adjusters typically increase their settlement offers when an attorney becomes involved. In addition, they want to avoid having their insured party involved in a personal injury lawsuit, which can damage their reputation.
Providing a More Neutral View
After an injury accident that wasn’t your fault, it’s only natural for you to experience a range of emotions, such as frustration, hurt, anxiety, or anger. However, can you still be rational enough to make good decisions? For some injured people, the answer is no.
An experienced Hackensack personal injury lawyer can bring an objective or neutral view of your accident to your claim. Lawyers aren't typically swayed by personal opinions or feelings when considering and representing the facts in a personal injury claim or lawsuit.
If your feelings might get in the way of making decisions that will help your claim or you don’t think you can act in a manner that supports your claim, a lawyer can help.
Relieving You of Communication with the Insurance Adjuster
Once an attorney represents you, the insurer and adjuster can no longer communicate with you without going through them first. However, they still have the right to get information from you and ask questions, but they must communicate through your Hackensack personal injury attorney. If they wish to speak directly with you, your lawyer must approve it and be present.
Not speaking with an adjuster can take the pressure off many claimants and protect you from saying something that can hurt your claim.
Hackensack Personal Injury FAQs
How Do I Know if I Have a Valid Personal Injury Claim?
The best way to determine if you have a valid personal injury claim and can seek compensation for your damages is to meet with our seasoned Hackensack personal injury attorneys. Our attorneys can review your accident and injuries to determine what happened and who you can hold liable. We can pursue the financial recovery you deserve if you have a valid claim. If you don't, they can lay out your next best steps.
What Damages Can I Receive in a Personal Injury Claim?
Damages are a financial expression of the pain, harm, losses, and inconveniences suffered by the victim of a personal injury. Although money will not undo all the harm the at-fault party caused you, it's the best way to compensate you for what has happened. Every personal injury claim is different depending on the type and severity of the injury, how the injury occurred, and who is responsible.
In general, most personal injury claims involve the following types of economic or special damages:
- Current and future medical bills and expenses such as prescriptions, emergency medical care, doctor and specialist appointments, rehabilitation expenses, and medical equipment
- Current and future lost wages and income
- Property damages
They also typically include compensation for several of these non-economic or general damages:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Mental anguish
Your Hackensack personal injury lawyer can help you take stock of all the damages arising from your personal injury. They can advise you regarding what your claim is worth and help negotiate a full and fair settlement based on that value. If your claim doesn't settle, the attorneys at the Reinartz Law Firm are experienced trial lawyers. We can prepare your case to go to court and seek a court award on your behalf based on your damages.
Call the Experienced Hackensack Personal Injury Attorneys at the Reinartz Law Firm Today
The good news is that we're on your side at The Reinartz Law Firm. The insurance companies representing at-fault parties have experienced representation, and you should, too. We've helped many residents of Hackensack and neighboring municipalities get the compensation they deserve for their injuries.
We invite you to a free initial consultation to discuss your case and start your personal injury claim. You only have a limited time to pursue a claim, so contact the Reinartz Law Firm today at (201) 778-4878 or online.
"Richard Reinartz represented my husband and I in a personal injury case. He was very professional and did an excellent job. Richard made it very easy to communicate with him via email, phone, texts. His assistants are extremely helpful yet Richard even answers the phone himself when he could! .He is obviously well respected by the insurance companies and other attorneys. We feel very fortunate to have had him on our side."
Hackensack Emergency Rooms
The following are a few of the emergency rooms and urgent care centers serve Hackensack, New Jersey:
- Hackensack University Medical Center Emergency Room - 30 Prospect Ave, Hackensack, NJ 07601
- Holy Name Medical Center - 718 Teaneck Rd, Teaneck, NJ 07666
- Optum Urgent Care - Lodi: 184 Essex St, Lodi, NJ 07644
Seek immediate medical attention for any serious injuries you suffer because of someone else's negligence in Hackensack and contact Reinartz Law Firm as soon as possible.
*Disclaimer – Reinartz Law Firm does not endorse these medical providers, nor do we profit from having them listed on our website.
- Hackensack Municipal Court: 215 State St #2, Hackensack, NJ 07601
- Bergen County Justice Center: 10 Main St, Hackensack, NJ 07601
- Central Municipal Court Bergen County: 71 Hudson St, Hackensack, NJ 07601
Neighborhoods We Serve
Hackensack South (07026, 07074, 07606), Hackensack Southeast (07601), Hackensack North (07661), Hackensack Southwest (07606), Berkley Arms (07601), Aztec East (07601), Hackensack East (07601), Hackensack West (07601), Stratford House (07601), Prospect Courts / City Center (07601), Suburban Terrace (07601), World Plaza / Whitehall (07601)