New Jersey motor vehicle accident cases frequently involve issues of disputed liability and damages. Parking lot accident cases are no different. What is more, many of these accidents involve pedestrians, who are especially susceptible to injury. When parking lot accidents occur, it is important to have a trusted advocate on your side who can provide legal guidance.
There are many types of accidents that can occur in parking lots such as:
- Cars backing into each other. In this scenario, one or both drivers may be at fault.
- Drivers backing up into the flow of traffic. It can be difficult to see approaching drivers when you're backing up from between two cars. In this scenario, the driver backing up may be at fault.
- Pedestrians hit in the parking lot. Parking lots pose a significant risk for people walking to and from their vehicles. Pedestrians struck by vehicles can be severely injured.
Determining Fault in Parking Lot Accidents
It can be difficult to determine fault when accidents occur in parking lots. There is often limited signage and direction for travel. There are, however, some factors that can be used to determine fault including:
- Right of Way - Likely the biggest factor when determining fault in a parking lot is right of way. In general, those moving forward through the parking lot have the right of way over those who are already parked and might be moving out of their parking spot.
- Movement - Typically if one car is in motion and the other is not, the one moving is responsible. If you're parked, for example, and your car is struck by another, the one moving is likely at fault.
- Lighting - Accidents occurring at night are often caused by the lack of proper lighting in area of the accident. Premises owners are responsible for ensuring their parking lots are properly illuminated at night.
How We Can Help
Liability and damages are two key factors when determining the viability of a claim for injuries sustained in a parking lot accident. If you've been injured, you owe it to yourself to speak with a personal injury attorney.
The lawyers at The Reinartz Law Firm have experience with parking lot accident claims and can aggressively fight for your rights. Call us today for a free consultation to discuss the specifics of your incident.