Can I Sue a Drunk Driver in New Jersey?

Can I Sue a Drunk Driver in New Jersey?
Can I sue a drunk driver

Thousands of New Jersey residents are injured in car accidents each year. Drunk drivers are responsible for a considerable portion of those accidents. If you have been injured by a drunk driver, you may have questions regarding who you can bring legal claims against.

Personal Injury Claims Against Drunk Drivers

In civil court, it is possible to pursue compensation for your damages. A claim may be filed against the drunk driver and can also be filed against other parties that may be responsible. A lawsuit can seek compensation for damages such as medical expenses, loss of wages due to the inability to work, and damages related to pain and suffering.

Personal injury claims require the plaintiff to prove that the driver was negligent and that his or her drunken state proximately caused the accident and resulting injuries. The outcome of a criminal case against the defendant may actually have little bearing on the outcome of a civil case. A personal injury lawyer can help guide a plaintiff through the entire injury claim process from inception to conclusion and may provide the best means of pursuing compensation.

Dram Shop Liability

Many states have "dram shop" laws and New Jersey is among them. "Dram shop" laws are civil statutes that allow you to bring a civil claim against a business or establishment that over-served alcohol to someone who caused a drunk driving accident.

The statute states that a person who has suffered injuries from a drunken driver may seek damages if:

  • A person was "visibly intoxicated" when they were served
  • Alcohol was served to someone under 21 when the vendor knew or should have reasonably known the individual was a minor

Get Help Today

The experienced car accident attorneys at The Reinartz Law Firm pursue compensation for individuals who were injured by drunk drivers. Call us today for a free consultation. All of the firm's injury cases are taken on a contingency basis, meaning you pay nothing until we win your case.