The vast majority of personal injury claims in the U.S. involve motor vehicle accidents. Motor vehicle accidents are unfortunately a common occurrence, and if you ever find yourself involved in one, you may be curious about how or when to initiate a claim for damages.
Many of these accidents result in only minor property damage and can be dealt with through direct contact with an insurance company. In other cases, however, there are personal injuries, which makes it important to speak with an experienced car accident lawyer who can help you pursue a claim for damages.
What Does a Car Accident Attorney Do?
Motor vehicle accident claims become far more complex when personal injuries are involved. When insurance companies deny claims, or want to settle low and fast, it makes sense to consult with an experienced personal injury lawyer to learn your rights and options.
Here are some of the things a lawyer can do on your behalf:
- Communicate with the other party's insurance company
- Acquire the necessary proofs to prove the elements of a claim
- Obtain and organize your bills and medical records
- Negotiate with lien holders (for instance workers' compensation, disability, or health insurers) to maximize your recovery
- Organize and present relevant evidence for the purpose of proving liability and damages
- Negotiate a fair and just settlement on your behalf
Having the right evidence to support your claim is crucial. After an accident, it is very likely that you will be physically and emotionally shaken. If possible, while you are still present at the accident scene, you should attempt to obtain the following information:
- The name and contact information of the other driver and any passengers
- The name and contact information of any eyewitnesses
- The other driver's insurance company
- The name of any law enforcement officers who came to the scene
- A copy of the police report
- A list of damages and expenses for repairs
It is also very helpful if you take photos of the following:
- All vehicles from various angles
- The license plates of both vehicles
- All property damage caused by the accident
Once we acquire the necessary evidence to prove liability and damages, we present it to the insurance company and engage in negotiations with the carrier. Even though you may have already collected the photos of the accident scene, we review all data and prepare the best possible claim based on all available materials. We act quickly to ensure valuable evidence is not overlooked or lost.
Hiring a Car Accident Lawyer
Evidence tends to disappear over time, thus it is important to act quickly after a motor vehicle accident. The Reinartz Law Firm has many years of experience negotiating and litigating complex legal claims. We are focused on obtaining maximum compensation for our clients. Call or complete our contact form today for a free consultation to discuss your case.